Sunday, October 9, 2011

Candy Tiara




This is a tiara that I made out of candy clay for a Rapunzel themed party.  For the tiara template I used a printable from Disney's Family's website.  You can find it here http://family.go.com/printables/article-1018734-tangled-printable-rapunzel-crown-t/ .  I then made 2 small folds on each side of the printout so that the bottom of the tiara would be straight instead of curved (make a copy of this version to use later).  Once I did that I taped it around a salt container (the big thing of salt you buy from the grocery store not a salt shaker).  If you want a larger diameter for the crown use a small oatmeal container or any other round container to tape your template to.  Then wrap the template with wax paper and tape that to the container also.  Then you will need to make your candy clay (see the Form It! tab of this blog).  My next step was rolling some of the clay really thin and cutting it to size to cover the whole template.  To do this I laid some cling wrap over the rolled out clay and put my copy of the template over it.  Then used a pen to go around the outline of the tiara.  This will leave an indention in the rolled out clay that you can use to cut the clay giving you the exact size you need.  Then lay this clay cutout over the template that you have taped to your salt container moving it around until it fits into the template area of the tiara on the salt container.  This gave me a background to apply all my elements of the tiara to.  Then I took my copy of the tiara and put some wax paper over it.  This gave me a way to get the elements all the right size before applying them to the tiara.  You don't have to follow the template exactly just do what you think looks best to you.  I added more jewels to mine and some swirls to get the design that I ended up with.  I also added some edible glitter to make it sparkle.  The clay can get pretty soft working with it so I put my tiara into the fridge to harden up until I was ready to put it on the cake.  I also put the cake back in the fridge when I was done with it just to make sure that the crown would stay hard and not start getting soft and falling over.  Have fun making your own tiaras out of candy clay.

2 comments:

  1. This is so cool! I love tiaras, personally. I think they make you feel better instantly either on your head or on a cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for checking it out. My little girl loved the cake and couldn't wait to eat the tiara. You can see the full cake over at my other blog http://partycrafting.blogspot.com/2011/10/rapunzel-birthday-cake.html

    ReplyDelete